Sorry about spammy headline ;).
Below I will describe how I got rid of ads on my android phone without rooting it.
It is very easy to get rid of ads on an android smart phone if you have root access. Unfortunately pesky manufacturers insist on declining warranty if the phone is rooted.
I will probably one day test this is in small claims court for a cheaper phone. I digress…
- Some linux box/container/VM. In this post I used Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Public IP on the box from above
- Some linux/cli/unix experience
How does it work?
- Smart phone connects to the Linux box via OpenVPN
- Linux box is running Pi-hole which acts as a selective DNS server